Fundraising: Fundraising Tips
How can the Maryland Half Marathon & 5K make a huge impact on the global movement to end cancer forever? Through the fundraising efforts of every participant.
Here are some tips to help you with your fundraising
- Start asking for donations early!
- Utilize the Good Move app that tracks your training and fundraising. Fundraisers who log their acitivity and publicly share their updates through Good Move can raise an average of 40% or more.
- Set a goal and tell people what it is. Let everyone know that you’re participating in the Maryland Half Marathon & 5K and that 100% of the money you raise will go directly to the University of Maryland Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center to help fight cancer. See our Social Media Ambassador Toolkit for some ready-to-go content and images to post on your social media channels.
- Research your company’s matching gift program. You could double your money!
- Learn about the Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Remember to thank every individual who helps you reach your goal. Let them know they’re making a difference.
- Provide updates - let people know how much you’ve raised and how close you are to reaching your goal.
Tips for Asking
- Never miss an opportunity: Now is not the time to be shy. Let everyone know that you are raising money for University of Maryland Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center. When they ask why, the conversation door has been opened. Take this opportunity to tell them why you have chosen to take this challenge. Let them know your purpose for running in support of the UMGCCC. Let them know what your fundraising goal is and then ask for a donation. This is a great opportunity to educate your community and fundraise at the same time.
- Corporate Matching: Take advantage of corporate matching gifts programs. Many of your donors may work for companies that have a program like this – their donation could double simply by filling out a form from their Human Resources department and following the steps to submit a matching gift
- Sponsor Shirt: Identify one sponsor that you can ask for a large donation. Offer to wear their shirt for advertising while training.
- Spare Change: Ask your favorite restaurant or local pub to put out a jar for donations of spare change. Decorate it with quotes, pictures, ribbons – anything to get someone’s attention. Put these out somewhere obvious – you’re sure to get some attention.